New to Jeeps, but have always loved them

Club Info, Meeting Info, Minimum Club Requirements, Off Road "How To" Guide, Safety Topics, and Tread Lightly

New to Jeeps, but have always loved them

Postby AJBonomo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi!

Wife and I live in Winnipeg (St Vital).

Had a Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 (loaded - gorgeous truck) - but was limited in what off roading I could do because it had no skid plates, and it had side steps, and of course, it is much longer than a Wrangler, and taller, and wider, and and and - and Nicole didn't want to drive the Ram - she drove it 3 or 4 times in 2.5 years, so we traded it in and bought a Wrangler.

I had been looking at a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, because it was luxuriously outfitted, almost as nice as the truck's interior, but - I had no idea how much more Wranglers could do, and when I started looking into it, I knew we were meant to be together.

When I was young, I wanted to join the military, but life took me in other directions, and I ended up having too many physical issues to pursue anything along that line - but I've always loved the old Willy's - I just had no idea how capable Jeep vehicles are, right out of the factory. I wish I had known all that when we bought the Ram 1500! I did love that truck, it was a tank, and super comfortable, and capable, but - it ain't no Wrangler!

Two weeks ago, we bought a 2017 Wrangler JKU, Big Bear Limited Edition, and already, we've thrown some money at it...

More posts to come, and photos - and here's looking at long and happy Jeeprelationships :)
2017 JKU Big Bear Special Edition
AJBonomo

Re: New to Jeeps, but have always loved them

Postby LOBSTER » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Welcome to club and hopefully you will help breathe life into website forum.

Many check it daily but there has been so few posts. In general all events get posted to Facebook but some don't make it here (notice 3 or 4 months of Jeep mobs missing this year).

Apart from that I recommend people mark forum as read then use the recent activity page as a bookmark. This way they always see active posts and anything new is in orange. Oh yeah, full desktop mode is better than mobile which is better than tapatalk. Alternatively don't mark it all as read then slowly read through topics.

When you become a paid member a few more boards open up. The main one is minutes where we archived our records back to our first one in june 2006!

Finally wranglers are rediculous at what they can do. More vehicle than most drivers can take advantage from in stock form. My advice is think hard about modifications... the last thing you want to do is redo changes because mod a was ok but you really ahould have done mod c instead but never before mod b LOL in the end it is your jeep so * cares. General consensus is lockers, armor, gears, and recovery gear over lighting and cosmetics if you like 4×4ing. Also, think about prioritizing mods, with focus on what you will get more use out of (not just most capability enhancing) and prepare to continuously adjust it as repairs turn into opportunities to upgrade. Another thing worth noting is your 3 year 60k all in and 5 year 100k powertrain warranties are worth their weight in gold. We have a tech in winnipeg and brandon that will look out for you like none other. In return book all maintenance and warranty work with them. You will not be let down as many of us have had soooo much trail damage covered by warranties in addition to legitimate failures.
"...because without pictures/videos, it didn't happen."
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Return to NEW MEMBERS & VISITORS - Click Here!