stubby bumpers

Club Info, Meeting Info, Minimum Club Requirements, Off Road "How To" Guide, Safety Topics, and Tread Lightly

stubby bumpers

Postby TATS00 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:39 pm

hey all,

Are stubby bumpers not legal in Manitoba? :?:
TATS00

Re: stubby bumpers

Postby LOBSTER » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Correct. Your bumper needs to measure >=4" high and track width wide. Track width quickly done by measuring inside of left tire to outside of right or vice versa. So stubby ok on height but not width :(
"...because without pictures/videos, it didn't happen."
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Postby Troy Avery » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:58 pm

How is that some Jeeps on the road have them. the hwy traffic act doesn't have any thing stating the measurements...we're did you get the numbers from. Thanks lobster.
SUMMITJK13
Troy - Kristen - Trystan
Troy Avery

Postby LOBSTER » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:20 pm

How? Just because it wouldn't pass a VIU inspection, doesn't mean you cannot run it and hope you don't end up being inspected, fined, ordered to remedy it, or worse have an accident claim go bad against you because you were knowingly violating a safety item.

I can quote at least 3 different sources for this requirement information. Currently MAAC, MPI, and other interested parties are reviewing the myriad of documents we Manitobans must comply to to run legitimate modified vehicles. Their goal is to provide one document for all parties involved can follow. Not several which you pick and choose from hoping the VIU inspectors or police are up to date on the contents and potentially conflicting requirements.

To save time, I will point you to a specific section of a document on the MPI website. Read Section 8-4 (d) as it applies to trucks on page 18 of Light Vehicle Inspection Methods and Standards - Vehicle Standards and Inspection.

Item and Method of Inspection
8-4 Bumpers
(front and rear)
Visually inspect:
(a) condition
(b) shock absorber (if equipped)
(c) height
(d) dimensions

Reject If:
(a) missing, loose, broken, wood material, torn portion is protruding so as to create a hazard
(b) collapsed
(c) cars - centre of bumper not between 355 - 560 mm (14 in - 22 in) from the ground
trucks - lowest part of front bumper, higher than 740 mm (29 in) from the ground (rear bumper not mandatory)
(d) less than track width, horizontal surface less than 76 mm (3 in)
trucks (front) 100 mm (4 in)

For the record, I would love to run a stubby on my JK (even just a hacked up stock one) but due to this requirement I have elected not to.
"...because without pictures/videos, it didn't happen."
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Postby Glenn Harrison » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:49 pm

i run one and chance it.... been almost a year now with it.
Glenn Harrison

Postby Brock Casson » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:48 am

It's real easy. Pop out the 6 clips that attach your front grill to the crossmember by your hood latch. Then pull grill forwards to access lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brock Casson

Return to NEW MEMBERS & VISITORS - Click Here!