Looking to get more serious about off road

Club Info, Meeting Info, Minimum Club Requirements, Off Road "How To" Guide, Safety Topics, and Tread Lightly

Looking to get more serious about off road

Postby Tronbortis » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:24 pm

New member here, i have a jeep liberty and just want some other opinions if i should spend the money and time putting a lift, bigger tires etc. or just get a wrangler and be done with it. I have been going to reynolds ponds recently and the liberty has definitely impressed me on what it can already do. I would like to keep the liberty since it is mechanically sound and having no payments is great. Just want to know if its worth it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Tronbortis

Re: Looking to get more serious about off road

Postby El Baja » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Don't wast your money on that liberty. Keep it as a DD and start over with something that has a good aftermarket. Or trade it in for a Rubicon or an older TJ CJ dirol]
RRJC SOUTH CHAPTER Las Vegas NV
El Baja

Postby Glen Clark » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:22 pm

You could always do this to it. :D

http://bds-suspension.com/blog/?cat=393
Glen Clark

Postby jeepsterjk » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:17 pm

You could always put a solid axle in the liberty then it's same basic setup as a wrangler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeepsterjk

Postby LOBSTER » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:17 am

Hold off on rash decisions until you've heard from at least one of our members that have wheeled a Liberty or have gone wheeling with him (before my time). It's been a while, but before 2012 we had one who was quite active in it and was pleased with it. Since then more options became available in the after market. Besides it is not worth loosing a vehicle you like/enjoy when it is off payments and meets all you needs but may not fulfil all your wants. You will be amazed at what it can do. You never know, perhaps you will build something older than late model Wranglers, which ups the cool factor in my books not to mention easier to fix, and preserves your dependable daily driver.

Learning to wheel in a stock vehicle helps you determine exactly what you want to specialize in and plan out your build so you don't waist money on intermediate, temporary, modifications.
"...because without pictures/videos, it didn't happen."
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Postby jdam » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:42 am

LOBSTER wrote:H
Learning to wheel in a stock vehicle helps you determine exactly what you want to specialize in and plan out your build so you don't waist money on intermediate, temporary, modifications.

X2
2013 Rubicon Unlimited

De Oppresso Liber
jdam

Postby JeepBob » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 am

It all depends what kind of /how hardcore you want to wheel.
(gravel pits/rock/mud/snow/or just around the farm yard)

I have driven a Liberty off road a few years ago and yes, I was really surprised how well it did.

Whether your wheeling, racing, whatever... To me the best approach is to set a goal of what you want the vehicle to do, then make a plan to build to that goal. Even if the build will happen in stages due to finances - get the end goal and work towards it. This also let's you see a budget up front of what you're going to spend, and to stay on budget.

The build plan may give indication if the Libby is a keeper or not.

Second thing is, build it strong as your first priority. Don't leave weak spots in your plan, they'll simply break at some point. Then, it will feel like you are just sinking more and more money into an endless pit. Stem to stern, strong first, cool/capable/fast, whatever, is second.

Rust free solid Wranglers are hard to find and command a high price. This may make the a solid Libby a feasible and cool alternative.

The tricky part too, is building the rig you want and keeping it Street legal. Think about the lift formula in MB with that shorter wheelbase.

Without knowing what you want your rig to do, and how limitless your budget is, it's really impossible to answer your question.

At this stage, the Internet is your friend. Do lots of research.
JeepBob

Postby Daniel JJ Bernardin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Glen Clark wrote:You could always do this to it. :D

http://bds-suspension.com/blog/?cat=393

Who knew a liberty could look so good
Daniel JJ Bernardin

Return to NEW MEMBERS & VISITORS - Click Here!