Road construction areas (rural MB)

Club Info, Meeting Info, Minimum Club Requirements, Off Road "How To" Guide, Safety Topics, and Tread Lightly

Road construction areas (rural MB)

Postby LOBSTER » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:33 am

If some site does not have a barrier, or signage, can we enter them when work is not happening?

While driving to Kenora this weekend I noticed a ton of expansion work under way beside the Transcanada Highway. Looks like they are either going to expand the road/shoulder itself or do drainage work. Either way, in the state I saw it in... it would make for some fun crawling around boulders and ledges. Just not sure if we would get into trouble if we did go play in the area.
"...because without pictures/videos, it didn't happen."
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Re: Road construction areas (rural MB)

Postby jeepsterjk » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:48 am

They are making it 4 lanes. The westbound lanes will be north or royal lake
jeepsterjk

Postby Jay-P » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:19 am

Without seeing it myself it is hard to tell... but I would be pretty angry if someone came through my site and ripped up/wrecked the ledges, grades, and general area I spent time forming, shaping and leveling.
1992 YJ + 2012 JKUR
Jay-P

Postby JeepBob » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:56 am

I am sure if there is an area they didn't want vehicles to enter, there would be signage.
JeepBob

Postby Brock Casson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Yes but over such a large area most workers would assume that you would have the common sense to stay out. Don't mess with construction sites you'll only get in trouble.
Brock Casson

Postby jdam » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Only problem with that granite, especially if it's been blown with dynamite is that it's prone to breaking. Not sure if it's due to the blast percussion making it brittle or just the nature of Canadian Shield granite but it can be very hazardous, ask me how I know. fool]

Also when it does break it leaves very sharp edges cutting into your tire's sidewalls like it were vinyl beach ball.
2013 Rubicon Unlimited

De Oppresso Liber
jdam

Postby LOBSTER » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:54 am

It's all graded sandy mud, with boulders left by glaciers here and there. After reading comment about the potential for screwing up the grading work... I've concluded it is not something I will do no matter how tempting it looks.
"...because without pictures/videos, it didn't happen."
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Postby jdam » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:55 am

LOBSTER wrote:It's all graded sandy mud, with boulders left by glaciers here and there. After reading comment about the potential for screwing up the grading work... I've concluded it is not something I will do no matter how tempting it looks.

Ahh man I know the feeling, every time I drive through Polo Park area on Sunday evenings I feel the urge to wheel through all that construction and rocks left over from the stadium parking lot.

I guess even after our little "Adventure" by your place this past winter, the need to conquer obstacles is too overwhelming...IT'S A JEEP THING I guess drinks]
2013 Rubicon Unlimited

De Oppresso Liber
jdam

Postby john noon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:18 pm

Did something similar on side of highway, lots of rocks and looked too good to pass up when traveling through northern Ontario. No sooner than I start to have a little fun the only cop within 100 miles drives by, told me if broke down or rolled he would leave my sorry (rear) there and something about over grown kids driving Jeeps.
Also said I was not the first one so don't feel special rofl]
No ticket or anything but a warning to stay on the road in the future.

john
john noon

Return to NEW MEMBERS & VISITORS - Click Here!