Facebook - Share your thoughts on how we should use it

Club Info, Meeting Info, Minimum Club Requirements, Off Road "How To" Guide, Safety Topics, and Tread Lightly

Facebook - Share your thoughts on how we should use it

Postby LOBSTER » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:15 am

For those of you not familiar with what happened, the RRJC Executive locked down Facebook. Please share your thought here, especially if you can't make the February meeting.

Once it got cold, behavior on Facebook got out of hand resulting in RRJC Executive intervention on a weekly basis. One incident had a paid member quit because over a misunderstanding that escalated before we could intervene. It was dealt with and we posted this:

2015-01-14-09-02-23.png
Warning

Then TWO WEEKS later we had another topic spiral out of control and within an hour, the original author deleted it themselves. When the executive reviewed and discussed it, we begrudgingly locked down Facebook, until the Club had a chance to decide.

2015-01-14-09-02-45.png
Lock down initiated
"...because without pictures/videos, it didn't happen."
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Re: Facebook - Share your thoughts on how we should use it

Postby El Baja » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:40 am

Why do you need it in the first place we already have this one unknw]
RRJC SOUTH CHAPTER Las Vegas NV
El Baja

Postby Trevor Schellenberg » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:52 am

I think I'm sitting at .75 of a total meeting in regards to attendance and I'll be out in Moncton for the next meeting so I'll post some comments here.

I find Facebook is great for stuff like scheduling events (even though it's usually only Jason showing up) and uploading albums because you can tag/invite individuals and people generally get notifications.

The forum is better for technical stuff that you want to have archived/searching purposes. I like to use a combination of both.

There has to be something in place to hold people responsible. Far too often, you find people saying stuff online that they'd never say in person. This isn't just here but everywhere you can hide behind a keyboard. Should there be more "admins" on FB where they can help moderate conversations for when the admin can't intervene?
Trevor Schellenberg

Postby Rabs » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:08 pm

1. First off I want to thank Gary for clarifying privately what occurred. Many of us did not know as the Moderators were * good at making sure most of the crap didn't stay up for too long.

2. I agree with Trevor. People need to be held accountable or their actions.

3. I enjoy the posting pics and comradery aspect. Some funny, Some interesting, Not to mention so much has been learned the last few months,

Create a Standards of Personal Conduct Policy. When you join the Club you adhere to all rules. When you join the Facebook page the same follows. If you breach this policy you can get blocked or banned for a short time or life time. To be decided by the Moderators, Perhaps a fine where your next Club dues are increased.

Bottom line is we are all adults, This shouldn't be an issue but yet it is, No one wants this to "policied" and yet it looks like it has to be, I am a huge fan of social media. It brings people together in this electronic world where our phones are always by our side.
"Back Seat Of My Jeep" - LL Cool J
Rabs

Postby harley2fst4u » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:32 pm

Since joining RRJC I have been on some runs. I have tried to organize runs. (thanks for showing up Trevor).
I have done this through both facebook and the forum. Facebook by far is easier to use and more people have access to updates on their smartphones.
You will never be able to police what is posted in facebook.
You must remember that what you post is what is posted. Read it twice, does it make sense to post it. Even if your intention is not to stir the pot or cause "harm" things can and do get out of hand. Yes people can read more into a message as there is no way to be sarcastic or tell if you were joking.
It is everyones responsibility to be an adult. It you post a topic and someone is posting something contrary to the "greater" good. Dont respond. Delete their comments and move on.
I for one do not agree with locking down the facebook page. I would suggest that we have a private facebook group open to paid members only. A code of conduct can be created. Dont follow the code of conduct and have your facebook privliges suspended. To get your access back a letter to the governing body explaining why you should be reinstated and then a vote can be held to determine the outcome.

Just my opinon.
Jason Stewart aka Harley2fst4u
harley2fst4u

Postby Glenn Harrison » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:28 am

I frequent both Facebook and RRJC Forum. Which do I prefer, well obviously Facebook for its ease of access via my smartphone. I get that the Forum is archived and has search functions where Facebook doesn't.

Do I goto the RRJC Forum asking for advice, hardly. There are so many other forums out there that I can usually find it via google in a few minutes.

Do I go onto RRJC Forum and make suggestions and helpful hints to others who choose to ask their questions on the RRJC Forum vs other forums, then Yes. So it is a split 50/50.
Glenn Harrison

Postby Renegade » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:56 pm

Don't use Facebook personally, probably gone stay off of it for the foreseeable future, ive got an account but haven't been on it in a couple years
Renegade

Postby LOBSTER » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Renegade wrote:Don't use Facebook personally, probably gone stay off of it for the foreseeable future, ive got an account but haven't been on it in a couple years

You are not alone in this regard. On the flip side the opposite is true for some.

Keep the input coming in everyone!
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Postby Canada_man » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Don't use Facebook either so I would prefer to continue seeing updates regarding the club posted here on the forum. If Facebook is continually a problem and can't be regulated why don't the executives just post important updates there and leave the chat for the forum.
Canada_man

Postby Renegade » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:32 pm

As a side note theres an android app called tapatalk, I added my forum account to it and got a notification just now when lobster replied here *thumbs up*
Renegade

Postby Jay-P » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:29 pm

I don't frequent facebook much, but...

harley2fst4u wrote:Since joining RRJC I have been on some runs. I have tried to organize runs. (thanks for showing up Trevor).
I have done this through both facebook and the forum. Facebook by far is easier to use and more people have access to updates on their smartphones.
You will never be able to police what is posted in facebook.
You must remember that what you post is what is posted. Read it twice, does it make sense to post it. Even if your intention is not to stir the pot or cause "harm" things can and do get out of hand. Yes people can read more into a message as there is no way to be sarcastic or tell if you were joking.
It is everyones responsibility to be an adult. It you post a topic and someone is posting something contrary to the "greater" good. Dont respond. Delete their comments and move on.
I for one do not agree with locking down the facebook page. I would suggest that we have a private facebook group open to paid members only. A code of conduct can be created. Dont follow the code of conduct and have your facebook privliges suspended. To get your access back a letter to the governing body explaining why you should be reinstated and then a vote can be held to determine the outcome.

Just my opinon.

Is pretty spot on afaic.
1992 YJ + 2012 JKUR
Jay-P

Postby Rabs » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Well as a result of my work schedule I wont be able to make a meeting till May. So I wont be at this next one. Being the outspoken guy that I am I would def speak up and let the following be heard on Wed. Hopefully Gary or Ian or Justin can pass this along.

FB is about convenience. We log in anyway and boom there is everything we need to know in the news feed. Posting pics or likes or comments are fast and easy. You gotta go on purpose and log into this site and scroll thru which topic you want you want info on then comment. For some that added seconds is a pain in the *.

Some ppl care enough to comment bout this. Some don't or maybe some just don't have the balls to say what's on there mind. 220 views / 11 comments. The writing seems to be on the wall.

I'm gonna assume that 98% of the members use FB for what its intended to be. While the others whoever they are for whatever reason have ruined it for the rest of us. How is that fair ??? A buddy of mine is on a body building site. He's a moderator there and similar things have happened. They hold ppl accountable for there words and actions. 1. Warning. 2. Ban/block for 6 months, 3. Lifetime ban.

I am for opening Facebook back up to all of us and starting the fun and information and comradery building again. We get to know each other on there. We are jeep enthusiasts. And isn't that what this is all suppose to be about ???

Looking forward to the minutues of the meeting and a resolution to this issue.

Thanks,
Chris
"Back Seat Of My Jeep" - LL Cool J
Rabs

Postby LOBSTER » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:41 pm

After many points were reviewed, including a detailed Glenn Clark take on it proxy via Jomar, we decided to move forward as a Closed group. This lets members post but not public (I think) while remaining publicly visible. Justin has done this and my task is to sift through Facebook members and remove all those who are not qualified as Paid Members. More details from meeting will be in February minutes when they become available.
LOBSTER

Postby Nhil » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:33 am

I think I was kicked out, sent another join request
Nhil

Postby LOBSTER » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:36 am

Nah, we just don't want you on Facebook.
LOBSTER

Next

Return to NEW MEMBERS & VISITORS - Click Here!