Vehicle survival tools - Mechanical & Electrical

Club Info, Meeting Info, Minimum Club Requirements, Off Road "How To" Guide, Safety Topics, and Tread Lightly

Vehicle survival tools - Mechanical & Electrical

Postby LOBSTER » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Long story short, I want a list of tools we should have in a JK Jeep.

I want buy, make, or use tool rolls so I can pack it all in a waterproof duffle bag for ease of storage, protection from elements, and make it less cumbersome than a hard case or bulky box that has us lugging around a bunch of stuff we don't need.

Why carry 1,001 sockets if 10 or so will do? What Torx bits do we need? What specialty tools are required, if any? What multi-use items should be brought (e.g. lighter, electrical tape, abraision/hockey tape, duct tape, headlamp/flashlight/worklight)?
Last edited by LOBSTER on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: changed title
"...because without pictures/videos, it didn't happen."
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Re: JK survival tools - Mechanical & Electrical

Postby El Baja » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:10 pm

That would be a long list, i guess it depends on were your going.Out here we bring everything
When i'm not on the trail i keep a complete socket set with a small amount of open end wrench but when going on the trail
The back area is full I have two Lg Tool Bags one is electrical and the other for hand tool & a small Fishing Tackle Box with var. nuts bolts and washers.
Standard open end wrenches to 1 1/2"
Metric up to 24
Air Gun and air ratchet with full set of sockets , Cordless drills & bits
3 vice grips ,big hammer, Pry bars ,screw drivers ,everything and anything that can fit in the tool bag
Gear Oil,Engine Oil,Power Steering Fluid, Water, Spare Rad Hoses , Fan Belts, Axles,Rear Drive Shaft,Hoses Clamps ,Spark Plugs & Wires.
Hack saw,zip ties , Tape ,WD40 ,Cardboard or blanket to lay down on keeps the ants off you.
I have one of those lg. Home Depot tubs that i fill up.
If the box has room i find something else to put in it, your bringing it anyways,

For example the last run we did i ripped the hydro ram off the mount had to remove it and lost a lot of power steering fluid good thing i had lots with me.
Carlos snapped an axle good thing he had a spare and all 4 of us had a boat load of tools and 3 High Lift Jacks to fix it but we forgot to bring some bearing grease so we had to save the old stuff. you can bet that won't happen again.
Extra food you never know how long your going to be out there after someone breaks down.

Better safe than sorry and if someone else breaks down and they forgot to bring something and you can help out, You'll be the hero and you can bet he'll be buying you a beer in the near future pleasantry]
So if you got it bring it. good]
RRJC SOUTH CHAPTER Las Vegas NV
El Baja

Postby TheHurricane » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:34 am

100% agree with Lyod on this one. As nice as it woul be to slim down to only exactly what you need for your vehicle, it's a better idea to bring absolutely everything you can think of. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Besides you jk people have room for days, try packing all that stuff in a tj!
TheHurricane

Postby Glenn Harrison » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:42 am

It's not fair to have a "JK" tool listing when there are numerous types of rigs with different setups and different parts.

Anyways, These are more of the specialty items needed to aquire for a JK:

36mm
32mm
27mm
24mm
22mm
13mm 12pt

Open ended Wrenches: 8mm, 10mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm are commonly used from a typical wrench set.
Allen Keys: 17mm allen, 14mm allen, 10mm allen, 8mm allen, 7mm allen are commonly used from an allen key set.
Sockets: 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm are commonly used from a typical socket set.

If you want JK stuff... read here:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242369
Glenn Harrison

Re: Vehicle survival tools - Mechanical & Electrical

Postby LOBSTER » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:32 am

Topic moved and title updated. Made sense thanks guys
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Postby El Baja » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:52 am

Glenn Harrison wrote:It's not fair to have a "JK" tool listing when there are numerous types of rigs with different setups and different parts.

Anyways, These are more of the specialty items needed to aquire for a JK:

36mm
32mm
27mm
24mm
22mm
13mm 12pt

Open ended Wrenches: 8mm, 10mm, 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm are commonly used from a typical wrench set.
Allen Keys: 17mm allen, 14mm allen, 10mm allen, 8mm allen, 7mm allen are commonly used from an allen key set.
Sockets: 17mm, 18mm, 19mm, 21mm are commonly used from a typical socket set.

If you want JK stuff... read here:

Yup and also as you start your mods most of the parts come from the states and changed to standard thread so you have to carry both dirol]
Last edited by El Baja on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RRJC SOUTH CHAPTER Las Vegas NV
El Baja

Postby LOBSTER » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:23 pm

Glenn Harrison wrote:If you want JK stuff... read here:

sweet find!
LOBSTER

Re: Vehicle survival tools - Mechanical & Electrical

Postby LOBSTER » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:12 pm

Great contributions archived from a Facebook discussion that dove into the importance of removing a broken axle shaft and what is required to do it on a JK.

It may not seem like a big issue to some people but you must think of the other people such as on going traffic as you travel home broken. Even if going 50-65km/hr on a broken shaft and a ball joint gives out and you veer into traffic and cause an accident. Very dangerous scenario. It is not a hard task to remove an axle shaft. You're lucky the jeep JK has a unit bearing you can drive on with a removed shaft. If it was a TJ you would be forced to fix it... Just advice from the past that's handed down from one another. We learn something new everyday.

Tools required to remove a front axle from a JK.
• 12 Point 13mm Box Wrench
• 21mm Wrench
• 19mm Socket
• 35mm and/or 36mm Socket
• Torque Wrench
• Breaker Bar
• Pry Bar
LOBSTER

Return to NEW MEMBERS & VISITORS - Click Here!