laws for bumpers

Club Info, Meeting Info, Minimum Club Requirements, Off Road "How To" Guide, Safety Topics, and Tread Lightly

laws for bumpers

Postby Daniel JJ Bernardin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:17 pm

if i were to get a snub bumper or a mid size where half the tires are visible from the front will i be ticketed?
Daniel JJ Bernardin

Re: laws for bumpers

Postby LOBSTER » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:26 am

The short answer...
You won't be ticketed until you are.

The long answer...
LOBSTER wrote:How? Just because it wouldn't pass a VIU inspection, doesn't mean you cannot run it and hope you don't end up being inspected, fined, ordered to remedy it, or worse have an accident claim go bad against you because you were knowingly violating a safety item.

Currently MAAC, MPI, and other interested parties are reviewing the myriad of documents we Manitobans must comply to to run legitimate modified vehicles. Their goal is to provide one document for all parties involved can follow. Not several which you pick and choose from hoping the VIU inspectors or police are up to date on the contents and potentially conflicting requirements.

To save time, I will point you to a specific section of a document on the MPI website. Read Section 8-4 (d) as it applies to trucks on page 18 of Light Vehicle Inspection Methods and Standards - Vehicle Standards and Inspection.

Item and Method of Inspection
8-4 Bumpers
(front and rear)
Visually inspect:
(a) condition
(b) shock absorber (if equipped)
(c) height
(d) dimensions

Reject If:
(a) missing, loose, broken, wood material, torn portion is protruding so as to create a hazard
(b) collapsed
(c) cars - centre of bumper not between 355 - 560 mm (14 in - 22 in) from the ground
trucks - lowest part of front bumper, higher than 740 mm (29 in) from the ground (rear bumper not mandatory)
(d) less than track width, horizontal surface less than 76 mm (3 in)
trucks (front) 100 mm (4 in)

For the record, I would love to run a stubby on my JK (even just a hacked up stock one) but due to this requirement I have elected not to.

Notes: MPI defines track width as the middle of the road surface part of one front tire to the same point of the other front tire. They suggest you measure it from the outside edge of one the the inside edge of the other. This number is good to know for your setup because it also helps you determine maximum legal lift height. Non-OEM axels amd things that would deviate from stock backspacing (rims and wheel spacers) can alter this number so you could go from being legal to having a bumper that is too narrow if your build a custom bumper that complies perfectly then end up with a wider track width later. Also, don't just look up your track width, usually manufacturers use wheel mounting surfaces up front, as opposed to what MPI does, and that number could be different.
"...because without pictures/videos, it didn't happen."
| Gary (plus Teresa, Jack, and Amelia) | Club Treasurer | 2013 JKUR in Rock Lobster |
LOBSTER

Postby dmorris96 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:15 pm

About a year ago i got pulled over for having my license plate in my windshield while running stubby bumpers that barely cover any tread at all. I got hit with the license plate thing but the officer didn't ticket me for the bumper or even look twice at it. He could clearly see the lack of coverage too which makes me suspect he didn't know about that law. Maybe I just got lucky though.
dmorris96

Postby Renegade » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:32 pm

dmorris96 wrote:About a year ago i got pulled over for having my license plate in my windshield while running stubby bumpers that barely cover any tread at all. I got hit with the license plate thing but the officer didn't ticket me for the bumper or even look twice at it. He could clearly see the lack of coverage too which makes me suspect he didn't know about that law. Maybe I just got lucky though.

Sounds like he didn't know the specifics, id be suprised if anyone outside traffic or viu units would care or know, the idea of an accident claim going south on you cause of one sounds worrisome though
Renegade

Postby Daniel JJ Bernardin » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:18 pm

Thanks guys! You're awesome! I thought I would let you know I ended up going with the warn elite series bumper in full width! I'll post pics of the added twist im throwing on it after I get it! Happy trails!
Daniel JJ Bernardin

Return to NEW MEMBERS & VISITORS - Click Here!